Wednesday, March 24, 2010

What about the cross?

A friend of mine asked me an interesting set of questions last week. I put together (some of) what I think in response on my own blog (www.tam121.wordpress.com) ... and then I thought you might want to think about these questions, too, as we are heading into Holy Week. So, take a look, and consider, what does the cross mean to you, today? What does it mean to us, as a community, set in the context of a larger community?

Why is there so much emphasis on the cross in Christianity? It makes sense if the focus is on Jesus' suffering and the way he died for us to make us forgiven of our sins, etc. But I also know Christians who don't see that as being the important message in Christianity, and seem to focus more on the redemptive message of the resurrection. If this is more your point of view, as it is theirs, why would the cross hold such meaning?

It seems to me that, while it's a very important reminder of Jesus' suffering, it's a very depressing icon with which to represent the faith. Wouldn't it be more true to the message to focus on a symbol of redemption and hope and love and grace and justice -- all the things that Jesus' life represented -- as opposed to Jesus' death at the hands of sinners?

Okay, your turn ...

No comments:

Post a Comment